Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Holy Pilates Batman!


Karmaic Quote: Love someone for who and what they are without conditions.

I did it! I signed up for my first Pilates class. It's an "express" class offered during the lunch hour on Tuesdays & Thursdays. I'm feeling really good about it. It was a choice between the Pilates and a class called Guts & Gluts...while I definitely need work on both my gut and butt, but I wasn't sure I was up for the more advanced level course. Figure that the classes are going to be filled with young co-eds to begin with...I'm not sure I'm ready to try and keep up with them.

As it is, the class starts next Tuesday, so I have one more week to keep myself motivated! I find that is the most difficult thing....finding motivation and staying that way. I keep telling myself that I will love it! My aim is to do this twice a week, then do bike afterwards...increasing bike to MWF if possible. It's funny, I really don't like doing things alone, yet repeatedly throughout my life I've been alone in completing the things that are important to me.

As an undergrad, years ago, I remember converting to Catholicism. Every week for a year I attending classes on my own...none of my friends attended with me. In fact, the first time I signed up for a retreat was my freshman year...I knew no one on the retreat. My friend Christina was so surprised that I would go to such a thing by myself. While I was nervous and a bit scared to be "on my own" with a bunch of strangers, I ended up meeting new friends. I've actually enjoyed these "solo" experiences...broadening my horizons at my own pace, in my time...without the hustle of friends pushing me to be a follower on their journey. I love the feeling of going to a movie alone, taking a walk, or sitting silently in the solitude of the Mission Church or the gardens.

I guess, what I'm trying to say with all this rambling is I'm capable of doing this on my own. I don't need the trainer (like I keep saying)...I don't need a support group, like weight watchers...I simply need to believe this is important to me. This has always been the biggest obstacle for me...believing that I'm important enough to be healthy. Sounds weird, I know...I'm not talking about being "self-important"--just important to myself. Care about myself as I do for my family and friends.

I guess I will tack this on to my goals...simply be alert to my long term needs and desires. Don't push them away in favor of short term "fix" or the ease of apathy.

Until next time...
Karma

1 comment:

Jill said...

I'm way behind in reading other people's blogs!

Hopefully you are soooooooo enjoying pilates. I know I do!!